الجمعة، 19 فبراير 2016

Genomic Cancer Testing

It was back in August of 1994 that I was first diagnosed with breast cancer. At that time, I was a "problem patient", as my oncologist coined me, due to my diagnosis of stage 1 and four recurrences simultaneously. Pair that with my allergy to chemo that started shutting my spinal cord down - and her name for me is understandable! Since my diagnosis over twenty years ago, there have been major advances in the science of treating tumors. Much of these advances is in the area of genomic testing. I cannot help but wonder how my cancer journey might have been different had this fascinating science been around then. Some of you probably have had genetic testing, which is the study of heredity - both maternal and paternal. Genetic testing can be very helpful in helping "at risk" people prior to a cancer diagnosis in addition to aiding a genetic counselor when advising a patient with a genetic disposition regarding potential therapies and surgeries. However, genetics and genomics are not synonymous. On The World Health Organization's website genomics is defined as: the study of genes and their functions". It goes on to say: "The main difference between genomics and genetics is that genetics scrutinizes the functioning and composition of the single gene whereas genomics addresses all genes and their inter-relationships in order to identify their combined influence on the growth and development of the organism." This type of testing is not new, but it is an evolving science that offer patients specialized therapies based on their particular tumors cellular mutations. There are patterns in these mutations and when these patterns are unlocked with genomic testing, the patient's oncologist can recommend therapies known to have worked on these particular mutations in the past. Many cancer centers across America, Canada and Europe have been using genomic testing for several years for certain types of cancer. The Cancer Treatment Centers of America is one of those. CTCA was where I chose to go for adjuvant therapy following my oncologist's hands-off attitude. (I certainly wasn't an expert on cancer and follow-up treatments, but I did know that when I was asked to make my next appointment in six months just three weeks after leaving ICU from the allergic response to chemo, my doctor was not up to the task of dealing with a "problem patient".) Unfortunately, at this time, not all types of cancer utilize genomic testing. That may never be the case. But this tool offers exciting opportunities for those patients whose tumors most likely will respond better to an individualized treatment program. God made us individuals and now that individuality is being used in an exciting way in the midst of a deadly disease. I am sure over the next several years genomic testing will take some giant steps forward! Carin Hansen was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 40. Since her diagnosis she has been a model, actress, talent agency owner, benefit founder, certified acting/modeling instructor, writer, speaker and passionate cancer advocate. Please visit Carin's website at http://www.bridges2beauty.net for information and encouragement that is helpful and hopeFULL. You can purchase a hard copy of her book "A Woman's Cancer Journey Primer" on the website. It is important to remember that Carin is not a physician. She strongly urges you to consult with your Primary Physician, Oncologist and/or Surgeon before implementing any of her suggestions found in her articles, newsletter, blogs and books. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Carin_G_Hansen/126638 Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9314603

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق